The word Desire means to long or hope for…it’s a longing, a craving! When you have a desire for God with your whole heart you will seek him. When you seek him you will find him. When you find him you will love him. When you love him you will desire what he desires. You will love what he loves and hate what he hates. You will have the same desires of who you serve. You think the same, act the same and talk the same.
Things God Hates…
Proverbs 6:16-19 “There are six things that Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.”
· Haughty eyes (proud look)
· Blatantly and disdainfully proud
· Excessive self-esteem
· Lying tongue
· Making untrue statements with intent to deceive
· Hands that shed innocent blood
· To harm those who are free from guilt or sin especially through lack of knowledge of evil; harmless
· A heart that devises wicked schemes
· Plan to bring about; plot.
· To form evil plans
· Feet that are quick to rush into evil
· Established a position in acting with speed to eagerly move toward evil; sinful, wicked
· A False witness who pours out lies
· Testifying intentionally untrue information
· A man who stirs up dissension among brothers
· To cause quarreling
He doesn’t hate YOU…he hates the SIN
If we are longing for things that are mentioned in Proverbs 6:16-19 then we do not love God. If we loved Him we wouldn’t desire to have ANY part of those things.
John 14:21 “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me….”
Do you hate the things God hates?
Things God Loves…
Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.”
· The property (as a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality
· Possession, characterized by, or arising from superiority of mind or character or of ideals or morals
· Conforming to facts or truth
· Acting or judging in accordance with truth or fact
· Unmixed with any other matter
· Free from dust, dirt, or taint
· Spotless, stainless
· Delightful for beauty, harmony, or grace
· To have qualities worthy of admiration
We should desire the things he loves and those things that are detestable to him should be detestable to us!
He is a God of… love, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, forgiveness, purity, joy, peace, patient, merciful, understanding, etc…
Mark 12:28-33 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
”The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To Love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
We should desire these things. We should have a craving to be more like him in everyway. What things do you desire? Do you love the things God loves?
Read: Colossians 3:1-15, 1 Corinthians 13:4-13, Galatians 5:22-23, Proverbs 11:23